Associate Professor of Strategy
Area of Expertise:
Business/Corporate Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Human Resource Management/Industrial Relations, Business/Corporate Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Human Resource Management/Industrial Relations
Strategy, entrepreneurship, human capital
- "Can You Gig It? An Empirical Examination of the Gig Economy and Entrepreneurial Activity", Management Science, Issue 12, with G. Burtch, B. Greenwood, 2018
- "Managers' Political Ideology and Gender Inequality among Subordinates: Does His Ideology Matter More than Hers?", Administrative Science Quarterly, Issue 2, 287-322, with B. Greenwood, 2018
- "Patient-physician gender concordance and increased mortality among female heart attack patients, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Issue 34, 8569-8574, with B. Greenwood, L. Huang, 2018
- "Blocked But Not Tackled: Who Founds New Firms When Rivals Dissolve?", Strategic Management Journal, Issue 11, 2189-2212, 2017
- "When Does Corporate Social Responsibility Reduce Employee Turnover? Evidence from Attorneys before and after 9/11", Academy of Management Journal, Issue 5, 1932-1962, with D. Kryscynski, D. Olson, 2017
- "Alumni Effects and Relative Relational Advantage: The Impact on Outsourcing when Your Client Hires from Your Competitors", Academy of Management Journal, Issue 6, 1578-1600, with D. Somaya, 2013
- "Heterogeneity in Turnover: The Effect of Relative Compensation Dispersion of Firms on the Employee Mobility and Entrepreneurship of Extreme Performers", Strategic Management Journal, Issue 12, 1411-1430, with R. Agarwal, B. Campbell, 2012
- Editorial Review Board Member, Administrative Science Quarterly
- Editor, Associate Editor, Management Science
- Editor, Associate Editor, Strategic Management Journal
- Top 40 Under 40 MBA Professor for 2020, Poets and Quants, 2020
- BPS/STR Emerging Scholar Award, Academy of Management, 2019
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Organization Science, 2019
- Top 15 Reviewer Award, Strategic Management Journal, 2019
- Distinguished Service Award, Management Science, 2018
- Top 15 Reviewer Award, Academy of Management Review, 2018
- Top 15 Reviewer Award, Strategic Management Journal, 2018
- Kauffman Junior Faculty Fellowship in Entrepreneurship Research, 2017
- Sanford R. Robertson Assistant Professorship in Business Administration, University of Michigan, 2017
- Distinguished Service Award, Management Science, 2016
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Organization Science, 2016
- Finalist, Wiley Outstanding Dissertation Award in Strategy, BPS Division of Academy of Management, 2014
Enjoying time with my family, exercise, 90s music, barbecue, podcasts.
I conduct research and teach classes about organizational strategy, entrepreneurship, and human capital management. My research program examines the ways that employees' beliefs, preferences, identities, and relationships affect organizational performance.
The National Science Foundation, the Kauffman Foundation, and the Strategy Research Foundation have supported my research, and The New York Times, NPR, The Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, and others have covered my work. In 2019, the Strategy Division of the Academy of Management awarded me their biennial Emerging Scholar Award.
My primary teaching responsibilities include the core strategy course in the full-time, professional, and online MBA programs. In 2020, Poets & Quants recognized me as a Best 40 Under 40 professor.
I currently serve as an associate editor at Management Science and Strategic Management Journal, and I have served on the editorial boards of Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Administrative Science Quarterly, and Organization Science.
I grew up near Memphis, Tennessee, but my mom's family has lived in the St. Louis area since the 1840s. Prior to returning to graduate school, I worked as a CPA in Deloitte's St. Louis office.
Seth Carnahan's Home Page
Seth Carnahan's Curriculum Vitae
PhD 2013, University of Maryland, Smith School of Business
Master of Accounting Science 2007, University of Illinois
2006, University of Illinois