John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics and Strategy
Area of Expertise:
Business/Corporate Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Leadership, Innovation and Growth, Technology Management, Diversity, Human Resource Management/Industrial Relations, Organizational Change and Development
Industry Evolution, Strategy and Value Appropriation, Microeconomics/Industrial Organization, Investor Protection, and Compensation.
- "Do new entrants sustain, destroy or create guaranteed profitability?", Strategic Management Journal, Issue 6, 1630-1649, with M. Ryall, 2018
- "The Economics of super managers", Review of Financial Studies, with N. Baranchuk, J. Yang, 2011
- "Legal Institutions, Sectoral Heterogeneity, and Economic Development", Review of Economic Studies, 529-561, with R. Castro, G. Clementi, 2009
- "How do value creation and competition determine whether a firm appropriates value?", Management Science, 1319-1333, with M. Ryall, 2004
- "Investor Protection, optimal incentives and economic growth", Quarterly Journal of Economics, with R. Castro, G. Clementi, 2004
- "The economics of has-beens", Journal of Political Economy, S289-S310, with M. Weisbach, 2004
- "Adverse Specialization", Journal of Political Economy, 864-899, with L. Marx, 2001
- "Competitive Diffusion", Journal of Political Economy, with B. Jovanovic, 1994
- "The life cycle of a competitive industry", Journal of Political Economy, 322-347, with B. Jovanovic, 1994
- Editor, Senior Editor, Journal of Labor Economics, 1992-2001; Associate Editor, 1982-1992; Associate Editor, Management Science, 2006-present
- Referee, Journal of Political Economy, Econometrica, American Economic Review, Review of Economic Studies, Journal of Economic Theory, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Business, Bell Journal of Economics, Rand Journal of Economics, National Science Foundation, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Journal of Macroeconomics, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Management Science, Strategic Management Journal
- Editor, Editor of Special Issue, Journal of Accounting and Economics
Glenn MacDonald is married, with two children. He enjoys music, creative activities generally, and cooking. For fun he does yoga, teaches fencing, composes & produces electronic music, plays guitar & DJs.
Prior to join Olin, Professor MacDonald was Professor of Economics and Management at the University of Rochester’s W. E. Simon Graduate School of Business, and Professor of Economics at the University of Western Ontario. He has extensive experience, including consulting, mentoring and informal advising, and student projects. He has worked with startups, e.g., eMastered.com, RECORDS and DigitalMint, nonprofits, e.g. United Way and USOC, and large entities, e.g., MasterCard, LionsGate, Citibank, Universal Music Group and Nike.
Glenn MacDonald's Home Page
PhD 1979, University of Rochester
MA 1978, University of Rochester
BA 1975, York University