Adjunct Lecturer and Senior Research Advisor, Center for Analytics and Business Insights
Area of Expertise:
Business/Corporate Strategy, Management Strategy, Innovation and Growth, Business/Corporate Strategy, Innovation and Growth, Management Strategy
Behavioral Decision Making, Data Science, Decision Sciences, Non-Market Strategy, Perception Gaps, Reputation Risk Analyses using Data Science and AI techniques.
Professor Sardella leads The Perception Gap Project studying the gap between scientific risk and the consumer perception of risk. His research focuses on both cases where society greatly underestimates risks (i.e., climate change) or conversely overestimate risk (i.e., vaccinations). The Perception Gap Project tracks the gap in perception between experts and society across various industries and a multitude of topics ranging from opioids to driverless vehicles. The research findings help the successful commercialization of advanced technologies, fosters enhanced understanding of societal concerns, and drive business initiatives to address concerns or gain acceptance and adoption of new products and technologies. Moreover, research results lead to enhanced company Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) efforts to address both shareholder and societal demands for sustainable business strategies.
Professor Sardella's recent research has focused on the intersection of society, government, and business as it pertains to protecting public health, safeguarding our US pharmaceutical supply chain, and policy considerations to mitigate shortages of essential medicines.
- "Safeguarding the United States pharmaceutical suply chain and policy considerations to mitigate shortages of essential medicines", with P. De Bona, 2021
- Member, Biotechnology Industry Association
- Member, CEFIC
- Member, IEEE
- Board Member, Innovation & Growth Institute Olin Business School
- Member, Kellogg Alumni Club of St. Louis
- Member, Kellogg Executive Education
- Member, Kellogg Technology Marketers
- Member, Marketing Science Institute
- Member, Pharmaceutical Education Research Institute
- Member, Social Media Research, Analysis and Insights
- Member, Social Risk Analysis
- Member, The Chemical Specialty Manufacturers Association
- Member, The European Chemical Industry Council
- Member, Zell Center for Risk Research, Kellogg School of Management
- PMBA Professor of the Year 2017, Olin Business School, 2017
- Smithsonian Institute Innovation Network Laureate
Mr. Sardella is a recognized leader in the field of managing the non-market environment of business to overcome risks and seize opportunities from externalities including the commercialization of advanced technologies. He is a frequent speaker and consultant to corporations seeking to commercialize new technologies while facing reputation and operational issues and wanting to develop effective strategies. Mr. Sardella has contributed in the development of various business case studies at the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, focusing on the successful commercialization strategies for novel technologies in high concern, low trust operating environments. In addition, he has authored and co-authored over 25 papers in the field of human health and environmental risk assessment prepared on behalf of government agencies, and non-governmental scientific bodies.
BS , University of Toronto
MBA 2003, Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management