Fall 2017 Application Checklist**
A complete application should include the following:
- Scanned copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (uploaded in the application)
- Scanned copies of GMAT score report (uploaded in the application)
- GRE scores can be recorded in the online application. Please send scanned GRE score reports to email@example.com
- TOEFL scores recorded in the online application and official TOEFL scores sent to Washington University in St. Louis (for international students only)
- THREE (3) letters of recommendation
- Essay Questions (considered Statement of Purpose)
- Application fee paid online
Application for Fall 2017 is now available.
Olin requires a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college. A master's degree is not necessary. Upload unofficial transcripts - one from each college-level institution attended. Scanned copies of transcripts may be too dark and difficult to read so please adjust scanner settings accordingly. Photographs of transcripts are not acceptable. If the transcript is in a language other than English, applicants must provide an official translation issued from the university or by certified members of the American Translators Association.
Applicants who have already graduated must show a transcript with the degree conferred and date unless a copy of their diploma/degree certificate is required. Official transcripts of all college-level work must be submitted to the program office upon admission to Olin Business School no later than July 1, 2017. Updates to transcripts after applications are submitted are not necessary and will not be uploaded by Olin.
High GMAT/GRE Test Score
Although there is no minimum score requirement, a good performance is weighted by the Admissions Committee. Successful applicants tend to have overall scores in the 90th percentile or higher; the average GMAT score of recent admits has been approximately 720. The GMAT institution code for the Olin - PhD in business is R4T-WG-45. The GRE institution code is 6929.
Successful TOEFL or IELTS Test Score
An English language test is required for all international students. The TOEFL and IELTS exams test the level of English as a Foreign Language. The average internet-based TOEFL score of admits is 105. The TOEFL institution code for Washington University in St. Louis is 6929.
Letters of Recommendation
We only accept three letters of recommendation. Recommenders may be either academic or professional however considerable weight is given to letters of recommendation from faculty members that highlight a candidate's research potential, past academic achievements, and a commitment to scholarly endeavor. Letters of recommendation are submitted online. We do not accept paper letters of recommendation. If this presents a problem, please contact us.
Essay Questions (Statement of Purpose)
- Why do you want to obtain a doctoral degree? (Please include what research interests you the most within your field of study.)
- Describe any experience you have in conducting or assisting in any research or teaching activities.
- Provide your own evaluations of your strengths and weaknesses in pursuing the PhD program at Olin.
All applicants are required to upload a copy of their CV or resume as part of the application process.
Applicants may include a research paper or abstract (30-page maximum) with their application. A paper is not required for admission to Olin's PhD programs. The paper should be uploaded within the online application.
Please note: Papers submitted by mail or email PDF will not be uploaded into the application; therefore, applicants should upload their paper during the application process. Revised versions of this paper will not be uploaded.
If there are technical difficulties with the paper upload, please contact the PhD program office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are encouraged to list this paper and any other papers they have on their resume with web links to these papers.