PhD Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I transfer credits from another University?

A. After successfully passing the Qualifying Exam at the end of your second year, you may submit for review up to 12 credits for transfer from other doctoral business programs accredited by the AACSB. Any transfer credit must be reviewed and approved by our Academic Review Committee.

Q. International students can’t visit Olin easily. Is this considered a drawback to admissions?

A. There’s no penalty for individuals who can’t make it to campus. Keep in mind, we send representatives to DocNet Fairs in many parts of the world and offer personal interviews in these locations.

Q. What is Olin's accreditation?

A. Olin Business School is accredited by the three most recognized business school accreditation organizations: AACSB International, AMBA, and EQUIS. As of August 2020, less than 1% of business schools in the world earned this honor.

Q. Do you require specific undergraduate classes?

A. We require a four-year undergraduate degree. There are no specific undergraduate courses that are required; however, a strong quantitative background is suggested. Applicants should be proficient in linear and matrix algebra and advanced-level calculus.

Q. Who should write my letters of recommendation?

A. Your current supervisor or advisor is the best person to write one of your letters of recommendation. The other can be from a person of your choosing, preferably from within your work or academic environment.

Q. Is there a minimum GPA requirement?

A. No. The Review Committee considers the quantitative courses and performance from previous formal education.

Q. Do you have a minimum GMAT score requirement?

A. There is no minimum score requirement. The average GMAT score for enrolled students is 735 or above. The GMAT institution code for the PhD in business is R4T-WG-45.

Q. Will you accept the GRE?

A. We accept either the GMAT or GRE. The average GRE score of admitted applicants is 328 (combined). The GRE institution code is 6929.

Q. What kind of financial support is available?

A. All enrolled students making satisfactory progress are granted full tuition remission and an annual stipend for five years of study.

Q. Can I enroll in the Olin PhD program on a part-time basis?

A. The program is full-time and very rigorous. PhD students do not work outside the university.

Q. Do you offer classes via the internet?

A. No.

Q. If I have a master’s degree, will that shorten the time to completion?

A. Generally not. The length of the program is relative to the progression of your research.

Q. How long does the program take to complete?

A. Five years of full-time study.