PhD in Business
A PhD in business from Washington University provides a strong background in basic disciplines, giving you the tools you need to pursue engaging research and a successful academic career.
Washington University’s Olin Business School is one of the nation’s leading research institutions, with a faculty whose research productivity consistently ranks among the highest in the business school community. Olin faculty members are recognized the world over for their important contributions to the creation of new knowledge. We also take great pride in our commitment to excellence in teaching.
Our PhD in Business students are guided by highly productive researchers who are among the nation’s top scholars. Faculty work closely with students to help them hone their research skills, often building one-on-one mentoring relationships that include co-authoring research papers.
Development of strong problem-solving skills equips our students to strategically address complex, unstructured business issues that result in innovative thinking and new ideas for research that have value to the academic community and application in the business world.
Olin’s PhD in business program provides:
- STEM designation for its focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics throughout the curriculum (learn more about STEM)
- Challenging core curriculum and a strong background in basic disciplines
- Emphasis on collaborative relationships between faculty and students, which enhances the education process and the search for your first faculty appointment.
- Personalized advising for successful completion of PhD program requirements and a customized course of study that fits your particular area of interest.
- Collegial network built on mutual respect and a shared school of thought. Olin faculty members promote one-on-one mentoring relationships, often partnering with students for research that leads to co-authoring papers.
- A competitive edge in the business education market.
Seven Concentrations for PhD in Business Administration
A Message from the Senior Associate Dean
Olin's PhD program combines the rigorous curriculum of a top-ranked university with the individual attention made possible by our limited enrollment. The program provides a strong background in basic disciplines and research methodologies, giving you the tools you will need to pursue a productive and engaging academic career.
Stephen Ryan, Interim Senior Associate Dean of Doctoral Programs and Myron Northrop Professor of Economics